It’s been nearly four months since Constantin Films (the company behind Downfall, the Oscar nominated film about Hitler’s last days) got Youtube to take down a rash of “Hitler reacts to…” videos, made using key scenes from the film.
The first one I saw was the Fuhrer’s foul-mouthed reaction to the news of Michael Jackson’s death, barely days after watching his memorial concert. Others followed: Usain Bolt’s 100m win; Kanye West upsetting Taylor Swift; Oasis splitting up… all of varying degrees of hilarity (and tastelessness).
While I can understand why the filmmakers had the videos pulled (they did kind of trivialise what was a really deep, serious film), part of me wishes they were still around, and new ones were being made. I’d have loved to see what Hitler would have made of these news stories:
- Rage Against the Machine getting the Christmas number 1
- Heroes being axed
- Britain’s hung parliament
- Reception problems with his new iPhone 4
- The vuvuzela
- Delirious?’s ‘History Maker’ only getting to number 6 in the charts
- Robbie Williams rejoining Take That
- Google Wave not really catching on
- Naomi Campbell giving evidence at the Charles Taylor trial
- Usain Bolt losing to Tyson Gay
… And if possible, I’d like those videos to be in 3D.